Gardening has long been known for many different types of tomatoes that have individual characteristics and properties. There are also new varieties, such as the Japanese truffle variety, below we will give its characteristics and description, as well as tell about the features of cultivation.
Description and characteristics of tomato Japanese truffle
The shape of the tomato resembles the expensive mushroom of the same name - for which it received its name. Narrowed from above, it expands to the bottom, like a pear or a light bulb.
Variety according to the characteristics is considered mid-season hybrid, the first harvest is going after 115 days. In the open ground, the plant is stretched to one and a half meters, and in the greenhouse it grows to two.
Fruits weighing 120 grams formed in brushes of 5 pieces. They are characterized by the presence of density, as the skin, and pulp. These tomatoes have a pleasant taste. The best way to use them is canning.The average fruit weight is 120 grams
Japanese truffle subspecies
The main derived variety is divided by color. There are several subspecies, each of which according to the description has its own unique taste.
- Red Color - the most common. This type is suitable for salads, marinating, pickling, first and second courses. The dimensions are small: from three to five centimeters. Differs in the presence of sweetness and high level of preservation.
- The black truffle causes a much greater amount of positive feedback than its counterparts. He is praised for an interesting look, a pleasant taste and a relatively high yield. It has fewer stepsons than the red subspecies, but the shelf life in raw form is less.
- Pink. Sweet fruits of a pinkish shade, not much different from other types. Yields are average.
- Yellow (Golden) has the brightest and most intense shade, valued for its beautiful appearance and exquisite almost fruity taste.
- The black
Breeding history and region of growth
It is difficult to establish the origin of a varietal variety precisely because opinions on this matter diverge. According to the convictions of breeders in Western countries, the birthplace of Japanese truffle is Russia. But in the Russian market, he appeared recently.
Not all residents are familiar with this interesting view, and it is not included in the State Register, as a selective achievement of the Russian Federation. Was registered in 2001.
Bushes live well in the openbut it is recommended to grow them in cold regions in the greenhouse.
Advantages and disadvantages
The main features that characterize this variety from the profitable side can be called taste. The special properties, dense consistency with a small amount of liquid, makes it ideal for canning.
The disadvantages include low yield. Also, bushes, despite resistance to diseases, need proper care throughout the season. They are capricious for temperature and have weak hands.Japanese truffle is capricious to temperature and has weak brushes.
Growing seedlings of this tomato has no particular differences from the reproduction of other varieties. The harvesting begins in March or April.
When sowing, it is important to observe the temperature and moderate humidity. The first days of the containers are kept in a warm place, covered with a transparent film. The appearance of two or three leaflets means that the sprouts need a dive in separate pots.
Transplantation of seedlings in open ground
Young plants are planted on a bed from mid-may. The soil by this time is warm enough under the sun.
Recommended landing pattern: 40 to 40 centimeters. Compliance with this distance is necessary for optimal ventilation and power bushes.Planting seedlings should be carried out according to the scheme 40 to 40
Successful plant growth is accompanied by the following actions:
- Watering. It should follow the soil, regularly moistening it. Water preferably in the evening with warm, settled water. Then you need to gently loosen the top layer.
- Mulching prevents many problems: rapid drying of the soil, development of weeds, the emergence of rot.
- Top dressing. Gardeners recommend to fertilize bushes with wood ash and other natural compounds.
- Formation carried in two or three stalks. This is the number that gives the best results.
- Masking. For this species, this procedure is carried out all summer. The growth of branches is very fast, because pruning must be done in a timely manner. The extra branches make the plant heavier, taking away the power to build up the foliage instead of the fruit.
- Weed removal it is necessary in order that the weed grass did not take away nutrients from a land cover where tomatoes grow.
- Ventilation. This item refers to samples grown in greenhouse conditions.
The peculiarity in the care is tying the brushes, in addition to the stem, in order to avoid creases.
Features fruiting varietiesThe fruits of Japanese truffles are harvested as they mature.
According to reviews, yield indicators are not too high: from 2 to 4.5 kilograms from the bush.
For maximum impact, it is recommended to start preparing the soil in autumn. During this period, the earth is dug up, fertilizer is applied.
The best predecessor of tomatoes is onions. Planting a culture in a place where members of the family of warriors grew is not worth it.
Diseases and their prevention
The variety has good resistance to the main problem of tomato plantations: phytophthora. It is resistant to many other diseases.
The disease for which these tomatoes are vulnerable is called Fomoz (Brown rot). It affects the crop, penetrating the pulp and leaving brown spots on the surface of the skin.Japanese truffle is vulnerable to phomosis but resistant to fitoftor
In the event of contamination, the soil and the inner surfaces of the greenhouse are disinfected. Everything affected parts are removed. For prophylaxis, planting should be protected from excessive moisture, and also not to use large amounts of nitrogen fertilizers.
Growing a variety requires some effort. But many gardeners, having tried the Japanese truffle, plant the plant next year, which definitely speaks in its favor.