Translated from the Greek language, this word means "working solution". Under this concept means the cultivation of crops without the use of soil composition, using only the feed solutions containing the necessary components for plant life. Culture roots are formed and held in substrates. And cucumbers, and tomatoes can be grown in hydroponics, created by yourself.
What is hydroponics for cucumbers and tomatoes
This is a unique system that helps grow and cultivate various plants. year-round. The supplier of nutrients is a special solution, selected individually, taking into account the fact that it is necessary to grow.
The fluid used to transfer nutrients to plants does not contain non-natural substances. It completely lacks stimulating compositions that can cause harm to the human body. If we consider the liquid in terms of chemistry, it consists of organic additives that help in the growth, development and ripening of fruits.
It is difficult there is nothing, especially if you do not use pumping units. With the help of hydroponics it is possible to grow onion feathers, greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc. It will only be necessary to equip the pots or purchase special plants for growing. Pumps are installed in the event that large yields are expected.If the hydroponic system is used for industrial cultivation, pumps will need to be used.
Advantages and disadvantages of growing vegetables hydroponically
If we talk about the merits of this system, then in the first place should be determined crop growth rate. They are well developed and do not get sick, because they get all the substances necessary for growth, give good yields. There is no need to daily watering, make fertilizer formulations. If necessary, the plants are easily transplanted to another location.
In the fruit do not accumulate unnecessary and dangerous elements, as everything necessary for growth is supplied in a dosage form. Even the issue of protection from harmful parasites and diseases also disappears, as well as weeding from weeds. The use of hydroponics for growing cucumbers and tomatoes does not imply a lot of free space.
It is gratifying that this method has virtually no drawbacks. You will have to spend a little money on the necessary equipment and become familiar with the peculiarities of the technological process.
In addition, to obtain good performance, you will need to study the composition of the nutrient medium for cucumbers and tomatoes, monitor the temperature, check the roots of plants and monitor the level of the liquid.When grown in a hydroponic system, vegetables do not receive harmful substances from the soil.
Types of systems
Today, a large number of systems are known, which can be reduced to six main types:
- wick watering. The simplest option, working on the principle of capillary force, in the complete absence of mechanical effects. The solution goes to the roots by special wicks. The system is intended for cultivation of not very large plants, not particularly in need of moisture;
- water system. One of the easiest options. The plant is held on a platform floating in solution. The roots are immersed in liquid. To supply oxygen to them, aeration is performed with a pump, otherwise the nutrient solution will have to be periodically updated;
- nutrient layer. In the box, which recorded the culture, the pump is pumped solution from the tank. It flows through the root system and goes back into the reservoir. The stream is constant, turns on automatically. Roots receive oxygen due to humid air located above the surface of the nutrient fluid;
- periodic flood system. To the root systems located in the substrate, periodically enters the feed solution, which then goes back into the tank. The fluid is driven by a timer operated pump. Root flooding is performed several times a day, their number is determined by the crops grown and the characteristics of the substrate;
- drip irrigation. From the timer, the pump is turned on, feeding the supply fluid through the tubes to the base of the plant.
This system is divided into two subspecies:
- in the first case, the excess solution goes into the tank, can be used a second time;
- for the second option, the timer should be configured as precisely as possible so that the excess solution does not cause the roots to rot;
- aeroponic system. It is considered the most technologically advanced. Plants are fixed on the lid of the tank in which the sprayers are inserted, starting to work on the action of the pump and the timer. After a certain time, the roots are irrigated with nutrient composition enriched with oxygen.
- Nutrient layer
- Aeropon system
How to make your own hands at home
Consider the most simple option. To make a house with your own hands you will need:
- foam sheet;
- capacious capacity from plastic material;
- cups for hydroponics;
- aquarium compressor.
The tank should be dark to the roots no sunshine. Otherwise, it can be wrapped in foil. In the foam are arranged holes, which must match the size of the cups.
The compressor is lowered into the tank, the nutrient fluid is poured in, the foam is put in place. It only remains as the evaporation pour the mixture. The equipment is ready, it remains only to purchase the nutritional composition in a special store.
- An example of a do-it-yourself hydroponic system
- An example of a do-it-yourself hydroponic system
How to transfer seedlings to a hydroponic system from the soil?
Plants are carefully removed from the cups, immersed in heated water for an hour to get rid of residual soil. After this, the seedlings must be kept in a solution of manganese for several minutes in order to sanitize.
The lower container is filled with clean warm water, the plants are planted in the substrate. Tomato and cucumber seedlings should be kept in water for a week, after which you can pour in the nutritional compound.
Harvesting and storage rulesTomatoes must be harvested as they ripen.
Tomatoes need to clean as they matureas soon as they turn pink. So they will be easier to save and transport. Keep the crop in a warm place, laying up the stalk in boxes and pouring sawdust or shavings.
Cucumbers are also removed in a timely manner so that the growth of the culture does not slow down. Otherwise, the plant will direct all efforts to the maturation of the seeds.
Hydroponics can be arranged for cucumbers and tomatoes not only in the house, but also in the greenhouse and even outdoors. It is important that the yield will be affected by light, maintaining the desired temperature, humidity.