Potatoes are called “second bread” and without it, no table can be imagined. To get a rich harvest, you need to know all the secrets of growing this root. Consider the favorable terms of planting culture on the basis of folk signs and whether it is possible to plant potatoes without digging the ground.
People signs when planting potatoes
The time for planting potatoes is different and depends on many factors, but there are calculations that differ from standard. These calculations include folk omens.
For hundreds of years in the villages, "grandmother's advice" has been passed on how to raise a good child, and here are the popular recommendations:
- potatoes should not be planted in the Palm week according to the calendar;
- if you plant on saturday or wednesdaythen it will spoil quickly;
- when an elder or bird-cherry tree begins to bloom is a favorable time for planting potatoes;
- when the coltsfoot begins to bloom, then after 30 days early potatoes can be planted;
- you can’t plant potatoes earlier than the leaves have blossomed on the birch and flowers will appear no later than on the bird cherry;
- if the air temperature at night holds up to +10 for 3 days, then you can safely plant potatoes;
- if when planting potatoes land under a shovel crumbles rather than sticksthen the harvest will be good.
The right time for a big harvest.
Landing dates are directly dependent on the following factors:
- potato varieties;
- geographical location and climatic conditions.
Best time to land beginning and middle of may. In warm regions can be planted in late April. It is recommended to track the favorable time for weather conditions. If the air temperature is kept around 10 degrees, then the potatoes can be planted.
In the Northern regions, the term moves to mid-late May. If you hurry, it will affect the harvest. And if you delay planting, the soil will dry out and there will not be enough moisture to help the plant to germinate well.The best time for planting - the beginning and middle of May
Planting potatoes without weeding and digging
Most gardeners spend a lot of time digging the soil in the fall and spring. But many have a question, is it necessary to do this?
Do I need to plow the land
Some agronomists do not recommend plowing. And there is an adequate explanation. The advantages of tilled land are as follows:
- moisture on an intact bed lingers better;
- the root system of the root penetrates into the intact soil layer and consumes the stored spring moisture during the month. Tubers are formed in the unsplowed ridge that positive effect on the plant;
- the width of the stored rows allows, without damage, to take care of the plant, weed it, spud it and protect it from pests;
- fertilizer goes away significantly lessthan on tilled land.
Features of the method
A multitude of microorganisms lives in the soil, insects that fertilize it and make it more fertile. If you start to dig up the earth, then many useful insects die. The soil turns into barren. Especially if you start to water it from above with chemicals, it aggravates the condition of the land and affects the future harvest.It is believed that when plowing microorganisms die and the soil becomes barren
Although there are completely opposite points of view, there is an option that it is better not to dig up the ground when planting and the harvest will be even better than after digging. In order to verify the effectiveness of the method, you can arrange an experiment in your own garden.
Ways of planting potatoes without plowing
The easiest and most effective way of planting potatoes - without plowing. There are several ways.
How to plant on the grass without weeding and digging
The method can actually be described in two words: you need to expand the tubers on the dried soil and cover it with freshly cut grass.
A more detailed description of the following:
- In the spring you need to wait until the young grass grows up. If the area is small, then you should mow the grass obliquely, if large, then prepare the mower;
- plot sprinkle with grass and wait until it dries;
- Tuber planting is carried out manually in rows, row width 50-60cm;
- on top cover planting stock with fresh, freshly cut grass. After 2 weeks, repeat the procedure. Young grass quickly rot and effectively fertilizes the plant;
- Tubers quickly shoot and sprout through the grass, the root system goes into the soil.
Also, the main advantage of the method is that it does not need to spend a lot of energy on plowing, hilling the garden, and digging.
Growing under a layer of mulch
From the autumn garden covered with a layer of grass and warmed with a film. In this state, it remains until spring. The ground under the grass coat is very loose. When in the spring the temperature of the air remains up to +10 degrees, the film is removed and the potato planting begins.
It is necessary to take germinated tubers, where there are more eyes and push them under the last year's layer of grass. It is recommended to plant potatoes in staggered sprouts down. Spacing potatoes 50 cm.
- For planting in mulch need to take sprouted potatoes
- Dip in mulch and cover with a wrap to the first shoots
- Potato tops in mulch
After all the tubers are placed under a layer of last year's grass, you need to cover the beds with a dark film. Film should be removed when the first shoots appear under it.
First you need to select small potatoes and choose medium and large tubers. The harvest will be much higher.
As the sprouts appear, freshly mown grass should be added to them. The bulk of the grass should be poured under the bushes. When the grass rots, you need to add fresh mulch again.
For better effect, you can water the soil. the ashes. Ash increases the content of minerals in potatoes.
Planting potatoes without plowing - significantly reduces the cost of manual labor throughout the summer. Given that rotten grass is an additional source of fertilizer soil. You have a rich harvest!